Last update: 2019-02-09
I am a Manchester, UK based Tech Entrepreneur (2004 to 2017) turned Businessman (from 2018) with a special focus on disruptive technologies operating under the recurring revenue model (SaaS). My focus for the next 5 years (2018 to 2023) is to develop Techcelerate to become the go-to-brand for raising Seed and Series A investment in the UK.
The Tech Entrepreneur Journey (2004 to 2017)
(Not all are Limited Companies):
- 2004 to 2006: ebdex – electronic document exchange for connecting Accounts Payable (A/P) and Accounts Receivables (A/R) to facilitate faster payments with potential to extend to a fully-pledged Supply Chain Finance solution. [shut down in 2006 due to Sri Lankan partner failing to deliver. Secured £250k debt finance but at the end lost all my savings and more.]
- 2006 to 2012/13: Techcelerate – 2,300 strong tech ecosystem for tech entrepreneurs, investors and dealmakers [Got tired in 2012 and eventually closed down in 2013 after the disposal of (5)]
- 2007 to 2015: edocr.com – YouTube for documents. Best way to generate maximum ROI from publicly shareable documents for businesses [Acquired by Accusoft, Inc in March 2015]
- 2008: Foresight North – A research analyst firm co-founded with Dr. Angel Salazar. [Closed down due to lack of commitment by both of us]
- 2011 to 2013: Northern Tech Awards – UK’s first black-tie event dedicated to celebrating tech entrepreneurship in style [Acquired by GP Bullhound, a boutique investment bank in August 2013]
- 2011 to 2012: Tech Centre Manchester – A joint venture with Bruntwood, provided dedicated office and desk facilities for tech startups in Manchester. [Closed at end of 2012 when the office floor was snatched by a Bruntwood customer]
- 2012: CRMPlus – first thin universal address book which syncs all your SaaS products. [Closed due to front-end delivery issues]
- 2015 to 2017: UnifiedVU – Re-defining how we consume business software. [Parked due to the insufficient achievement of product/market fit].
- 2017 Jan to 2017 Nov: Venture 9 – a vehicle for consultancy projects to earn a buck whilst trying to finance UnifiedVU. [Mothballed due to the second coming of Techcelerate].
- 2017 May to 2017 Aug – Unified Health – Spin out of UnifiedVU – Chemistry of the team broke down suddenly.
The Businessman Journey (2018 onwards)
In 2018, I switched from being a tech entrepreneur (burning cash in order to build value) to a businessman (generating cash by selling knowledge and experience).
Prior to entering the tech startup world, I successfully leveraged management and leadership skills in technology, engineering, transportation, utilities and oil and gas sectors for over 10 yrs, working for two multinational consultancy firms, Parsons Brinckerhoff and Parsons International representing end clients, banks, bidding consortia and contractors during multi-stages of project life cycles, in the UK and Middle East.
Most enjoyable projects:
- Winning the consortium bid to build and operate Croydon Tramlink – I was responsible for the circa £10 m light current solutions from non-vital signalling, telemetry SCADA to public address systems.
- Abu Dhabi Sewerage telemetry SCADA system – re-designed and went to tender in 3 months.
I have an MBA from Manchester Business School and a B.Eng (Hons) from Brighton University (Polytechnic). My full profile can be accessed via LinkedIn
As a person
I’m always approachable. Sometimes bit arrogant (according to my wife), but I am trying to change.
If you want to sell me stuff, please don’t try to sell on the first approach. I’m not interested in SEO, buying lists of so and so, hiring via recruitment agencies and outsourcing Software Development.
If you want me to become your reseller and find customers, sorry, I cannot help you. I don’t operate on commission only basis.
If you want me to invest in your startup, I’m sorry, I just invest into my own crazy ideas at the moment. Once others start risking their hard earned cash on my crazy ideas, then perhaps…
I’m always happy to help other startups or anyone where I could.
I’m a strong believer that I could only help others after I looked after myself. As selfish as this may sound, this is exactly what you hear after you board an aircraft (put the gas mask on you before your child). I need to recover from 14 years of tech entrepreneurship first.