Last update: 2017-01-05
I’m a Manchester, UK based Tech Entrepreneur with a special focus on disruptive technologies and Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) business models. Recently, I started to offer my services via Venture 9 in addition to running my tech startup, UnifiedVU.
Attempts at trying to become a Tech Entrepreneur
(Not all are Limited Companies):
- 2004 to 2006: ebdex – electronic document exchange for connecting Accounts Payable (A/P) and Accounts Receivables (A/R) to facilitate faster payments with potential to extend to a Supply Chain Finance solution. [shut down in 2006 due to partner failing to deliver. Lost all my savings and more.]
- 2006 to 2012/13: Techcelerate – 2,300 strong tech ecosystem for tech entrepreneurs, investors and dealmakers [Got tired in 2012 and eventually closed down in 2013]
- 2007 to 2015: edocr.com – YouTube for documents. Best way to generate maximum ROI from publicly shareable documents for businesses [Acquired by Accusoft, Inc in March 2015]
- 2008: Foresight North – A research analyst firm with Dr. Angel Salazar. [Closed down due to lack of commitment by both of us]
- 2011 to 2013: Northern Tech Awards – UK’s first black-tie event dedicated to celebrate tech entrepreneurship [Acquired by GP Bullhound, a boutique investment bank in August 2013]
- 2011 to 2012: Tech Centre Manchester – A joint venture with Bruntwood, provided dedicated office and desk facilities for tech startups in Manchester. [Closed at end of 2012]
- 2012: CRMPlus – first thin universal address book which synch all your SaaS products. [Closed due to front-end delivery issues]
- 2015 to now: UnifiedVU – Re-defining how we consume business software.
- 2017 to now: Venture 9 – a vehicle for consultancy projects to earn a buck whilst trying to finance UnifiedVU.
Prior to entering the techstartup world, I successfully leveraged management and leadership skills in technology, engineering, transportation, utilities and oil and gas sectors for over 10 yrs, working for multinational consultancy firms, Parsons Brinckerhoff and Parsons International representing end clients, banks, bidding consortia and contractors during multi stages of project life cycles, in the UK and Middle East.
Most enjoyable projects:
- Winning the consortium bid to build and operate Croydon Tramlink – I was responsible for the circa £10 m light current solutions from non-vital signalling, telemetry SCADA to public address systems.
- Abu Dhabi Sewerage telemetry SCADA system – re-designed and went to tender in 3 months.
I have a MBA from Manchester Business School and a B.Eng (Hons) from Brighton University (Polytechnic). My full profile can be accessed via LinkedIn
As a person
I’m always approachable. Sometimes bit arrogant (according to my wife), but I am trying to change.
If you want to sell me stuff, please don’t try to sell on the first approach. I’m not interested in SEO, buying lists of so and so, hiring via recruitment agencies and outsourcing Software Development.
If you want me to become your reseller and find customers, sorry, I cannot help you. I don’t operate on commission only basis.
If you want me to invest in your startup, I’m sorry, I just invest into my own crazy ideas at the moment. Once others start risking their hard earned cash on my crazy ideas, then perhaps…
I’m always happy to help other startups or anyone where I could.
I’m a strong believer that I could only help others after I looked after myself. As selfish as this may sound, this is exactly what you hear after you board an aircraft (put the gas mask on you before your child).
What am I doing now?
What about Consultancy?
Yes, I am available for short term (from 1 hour to few days) consultancy opportunities, where my experience, know-how and connections can immediately be put into real use. You can find me in many places, but also using standard channels:
Email: Manoj dot ranaweera at unified.vu
Mobile: +44 7769734491